Thursday, June 28, 2012

Review of Before Watchmen: June

I met DC's controversial Before Watchmen series with open arms. Many people didn't. To each their own, but I'm just jotting down my honest thoughts of BF thus far, feel free to disagree. I base my reviews of comics based on a few things. 1) Artwork. Is it sloppy? Is it clean? 2) Story. Do I find myself scratching my head at every page? Am I compelled to continue reading this series? Are any emotions stirred inside my cold dark heart while I read? 3) Do the art and story match up? Is the art amazing and the story dull? Is the story compelling but the art convoluted? Now you know my guidelines, let us continue.

The first strike, Before Watchmen: Minutemen #1
Honestly, this was the one series I was least excited for. Was being the key word. I will tell you I was most excited for Nite Owl, Rorschach, and Dr. Manhattan. After all is said and done, I might have to rearrange them. Minutemen was drawn simply, yet sophisticated. The story was well drawn out, each character was given pretty equal page-time. It wasn't rushed like you might expect. I will definitely suggest minutemen! 9 out of 10

Second: The Silk Spectre #1
I was absolutely blown away by this comic. So well drawn, I could hardly believe it. The story is about a young girl, and could be identified with chick-flicks, but with enough action for guys to dig. It was well paced out, at no point was I left unfilled. Highly recommend this! 10 out of 10

Third: The Comedian #1
This one left me intrigued, but a bit disappointed. It was well drawn with a great story line, but I felt like I was missing a couple of pages. Looking back it mostly all makes sense, but I wanted those 2 extra pages! And the Comedian should have been the one with the best back story. The problem is that so much of his back story was covered in the original Watchmen series. I give this one a 7.5 out of 10

Lastly: Night Owl #1
I thought this issue was a mess. So much ground was covered in so few pages. Dan goes from being 17 years old in the beginning to being paired up with Rorschach by the end. Much too rushed for my liking. These are prequel stories, to expand on the history! They should never just be to be. Although it is well drawn and no collection of BF is complete without it, I give it a 6 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on most things, just not your assessment of "Nite Owl". I thought that the pace was just right in order to get us all the way through the Keene Act by issue 4.

    Good write-up, though.

    ReplyDelete